Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Work Week Begins: Day 1, Jan 24.

I’m not sure if I can keep up this daily blog routine coz it’s already Friday, February 4, and I’m trying to recall stuff from memory. Anyhow I’ll see what I can do.

Just like many folks who fly from East to West, I was jetlagged. I recall my last trip in 2006, in which I took the same PAL flight back in time, I had little time to feel the jetlag – coz Hestia and I immediately flew to Orlando, and so my otherwise screwed up body clock just got confused all the more… but for the better, coz Orlando was about 12-13 hours behind Manila, and that was just a half day to deal with. Plus, we hit the theme parks so literally, with the adrenaline rush and excitement, no time to be tired. (Almost 5 years of youth had an advantage over the currently older me. Hehehe!)

Anyhow, back to the jetlag. I woke up at 130, 330, 430 and, mercifully 530 am. I guess the jetlag and the first day at work meeting everyone for the first time jitters were eating at me. We all have our first days. Hehehe!

After dressing up, had breakfast with Junjun. He was giving me some of his insights on the trip and the office and the hotel. Some of them I could not relate to… yet. Breakfast was typical Western style food. Not much, compared to 5 star hotel breakfasts, but hey, this was good enough plus it was free. Per diem still intact. Hehehe! Just reminded me of high school though, “Clean As You Go.”

Couldn’t wait for the 835 am shuttle, so I got on a cab and went to the Sun Valley Mall at 8 am. Spent about $10 for a 35 minute headstart. I stopped converting to our local currency on some things, coz what’s the use, right?

Shopping was not on the agenda at 800 am. It was Avis car rental that was. I was getting my rental so that I could leave the office when I needed to and not be tied down by the shuttle, which transports some of my Filipino colleagues to and from the hotel. I didn’t know what the working hours were, and how late I’d have to work. Plus I’m confident my little buddy named Garmin would get me places safely.

I was hoping for something nice. Sonata-ish. Sure the Sonata is not in the compact car level, but hey, from stories I’ve heard from colleagues who’ve worked in California, it’s the luck of the draw – SUVs, mid-size cars, sports cars, and that’s for the same compact rate.

Anyhow, ended up getting a VW Jetta. Despite my one-liner comment trying to get the blue Sonata beside it, I didn’t. The lady at the desk said that I was lucky with the Jetta already. Really? I said to myself. Oh well, let’s get it on!

Did a walk around first, then got inside. (Well, adjusted the seats first coz it was too cramped, before I got inside.) Got the GPS up and running first, then familiarized myself with the basic stuff before pulling out of the slot. As I drove it, I realized that it was pretty potent. You just need to get on the gas for the revs to rise, and that’s where you’ll feel the kick. No instantaneous turbo diesel power. Reminds me of the Camry’s power delivery with the Altis’s ride and handling, coz it can take curves pretty well. Anyhow, much of this observation did not happen on the way to work. Hehehe!

I have no pictures of the Jetta though. And I’ll explain why, eventually.

Now off to work. GPS gets me on Diamond blvd. But apparently, it’s only as smart as you plot it out to be. I plotted the corner of the property (at least the one that’s mentioned in the official address), and not the entrance, so I drove past the entrance. In my fear of a sudden stop causing an accident, I drove by and just looked for a side entrance somewhere. No such thing at the other end of the building, so I made a U-turn at a side street.

Called my boss to ask where I was supposed to be parking, and then going when I got to the building. The Smart badge is much smarter here than back home. There, for a visitor, you’d need to get additional access rights to get in to any floor. Here, as I learned from the security guard on duty, just tap it and go on your way. Nice.

I head off to my boss’s office, we shake hands, exchange some pleasantries, and he introduces me to the guys (and gals) on the floor. And I meet my business analyst, a chatty Irish man, in whose office I will be and am spending my office hours while here. I just love the way people from the UK talk about and describe things. The American description would already help you identify what it is he's talking to you about, but the UK description just makes it extra flowery with the wit and sarcasm. Perfect, my kind of talk. That’s why I like 5th Gear, and Top Gear, and why talking to Paul was very interesting. Sure it was about work mostly, but he’s a character, so it’s not business-like all the time. If he were Filipino, he’d be a prayle. (Note to self: Gotta research for an Irish friar I can nickname him after.)

Work was work. And it still is today. Went out for lunch with some very accommodating teammates -- 2 New Yorkers, but who're probably more West coast based by their insights, and Paul. They were all from the business, hence I did not know the people they were talking about, but I was sure these guys (talking, and who they were talking about) were a helluva lot of times above my pay scale grade. But no matter, they were fun to talk to, and they kept me in the conversation.

Got home about 10 minutes past the social hour (and a half, actually, coz it was from 530 to 7) so no more free food and drinks for me. Tsk tsk! Wasn’t that famished to go out and check on food options, so I went to my room and became Tony Stark. Hehehe! Happy that I didn’t burn anything or cause irreparable damage. Happier when Junjun gave me a comment, a day or two after, that I did a good job being...


the Iron Man.

No comments: