Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back in the States - January 23, 2011

Buoyed by a wonderful 2nd birthday party for Annika, and joint celebration for all January celebrants (Yin, Kris, TG, Tita Lu, Lola, Annika and Pong, and Hestia and myself), I took off to my new challenge... a business trip to the US for a project. If my team lead in the US had his way, I would have been there a week before, but due to the family celebration earlier today and with his consideration, I was able to postpone the trip.

Dad brought me to the airport for my 10:30 flight. PAL would probably not be the top choice on many people’s lists, especially if there were a Cathy Pacific option, but it works well with me. Sure I don’t get those flat reclining seats with separate cubicles in Business Class, but hey, I get to leave later in the day – allowing me to spend more time with Annika and Hestia, – do not need to catch a connecting flight since the one I had was direct, and get to fly back in time – literally – as the 12 hour flight (11 hours in this case, thanks to the tailwind) allows me to arrive at my destination 4 ½ hours before I take off. Did this back in 2006, and it saved me a lot of time which allowed me to do more stuff.

…Stuff like allowing me to unpack everything in my two, trolley-type, 4 wheel luggage, call home to say hello, and sign off before midnight. Downside was I was up early, but that’s for later. Back to the flight…

Check-in was quick, as Business class had counters separate from Economy. This wasn't in place in 2008, when I travelled abroad last, so it was a pleasant surprise. Apparently twice the price may have twice the perks. And this perks count started at the check-in counter. Nice. Another nice thing, was that my portable hook-type weighing scale was apparently overstated by about 10 lbs. So my 60+ lbs and 50+ lbs luggage were actually only 50+ and 40+. Nice again! But before I could step away from the counter, the ground crew asked to weight my hand-carried trolley. And it came up to about 30 lbs. Damn! I thought he’d have it checked-in, too. Luck came in to help me, as I got away with the excuse that half the weight was due to the laptop and camera, and even offered to show him what was inside the bag.

He declined, and I was off to the Terminal Fee payment counter and Immigration area. Tsk! Tsk! Now that was a long line. I don’t know what was the cause of delay. There were a few counters open. I guess there was just too big a number of passengers at that time. Oh well.

Eventually got past that area and into the 2nd body check and x-ray area, and off to the Mabuhay lounge. It was a Coors light for me and some sushi. Surfed a little bit, before I decided to beat the boarding announcement. Headed to the gate and found out it rained. A blessing, I hoped. Got to the gate and fell in line for another security check. Thought they’d question the bag’s weight again. Whew! No such thing. Waited for about 10 minutes, and was happy to hear the boarding announcement. Business class was to board now. ‘Yes!’ I thought to myself. Can finally get some Z’s as I typically get sleepy at take off.

Once inside the aircraft, I loaded my bag into the overhead cabinet slightly in front of our row. Helped the lady beside me with her trolley. Turned out, only 1 trolley could fit the overhead cabinet. Was careful not to show signs of a hard time lifting my bag, lest they take it and shove it in with the rest of the checked baggage. Hehehe!

Flight was smooth in general, with some minor turbulence. I guess I was too excited and tense for my entire trip, so I didn’t fall asleep when the plane took off. As I was about to finally doze off though, the purser gets on the mic and announces we’re having dinner. Oh well, at least it was good news. Hehehe!

I don’t know how it is with other airlines, but PAL Business Class seems to have improved from the last time (count em, 4 years) I took it to the US to visit Hestia. You get the usual welcome drink (a mango smoothie for me, yummy!), the usual refreshing face towel, but now before dinner, you get another drink, an appetizer, and then the main course. Cool! Had I been travelling with one of the padres, I probably would’ve gone alcoholic all the way, but since I was beside someone I didn’t know – a very formal and proper looking Filipino lady perhaps my Mom’s age – I did not want to destroy the reputation of us 30 plus year olds. So it was mostly just fruit juices and water for me. Hehehe!

Had 2 movies that fancied me on the small screen. And these started playing while dinner – got the sea bass, by the way – was about to be served. Since I missed the first 3 minutes of ‘Megamind’s’ opening monologue, I watched ‘The Expendables’. What can I say? For me, it’s more funny than action packed. But at least it was a light movie, save for when Sly Stallone gets dramatic and stuff. Fell asleep after that. And now I was beginning to miss the Cathay Pacific chairs I’ve heard so much about. Well, at least the PAL chairs were electronically controlled now. No more pushing and exerting too much effort to get them to recline. Way to go, Chairman.

Got a few winks in, thankfully. Until I woke up, I never felt the cold. I guess I was just adjusting, or perhaps we were getting within cooler areas. Eventually used the blanket as my jacket was in my bag, plus it gets in the way of the next agenda… breakfast!

I honestly can’t remember what I had though. I know it was fish, but what fish exactly? I guess it was that forgettable. Hehehe! Got to squeeze in some ‘Megamind’. Started at the part when he was talking to Metro Man’s statue after he dies. Hahaha! Liked that movie more than the first one I watched on the flight. Hehehe! The sarcasm and wit. Very nice….

Filled out my form and prepared for landing. Got to chat up my neighbor a bit, as she started it with a small comment about what we could see outside. Ah… the lights of the “City by the Bay.” I don’t know why it enchants me to much. I suppose the combination of the setting sun beginning to hide into the mountains, and then fog creeping in, with just enough lights for you to see the divide between land and sea.

Back in 2006, I could sing “I Left My Heart in San Francisco,” as I flew out. Hestia was there. This time, the romantic setting is just that… a romantic setting. And the romantic atmosphere, or the suggestion of it, is just that, a suggestion. “I Left My Heart in Pacific Place,” is more like it.

Anyhow, when the plane lands, I help get the lady’s bag from the overhead cabinet, and then get mine. I slap on my jacket, bracing for some biting cold. But as I exit the airplane tunnel, there is no biting cold, but just a cool, cool breeze. I was beginning to regret bringing my jackets.

My first stop outside the plane… the men’s room. Ah yes, it just smelled like the USA. Funny how a place of piss and poop can smell so differently in the USA. But hey, it does. Must be the detergents and disinfectants. Or perhaps the fact that there are full strength detergents and disinfectants being used on a regular basis.

I clear immigration, and get a cart for my baggage from a friendly airport ground crew. Nice to see a wide smile and hear an emphatic greeting after a long trip. Couldn’t expect that from the Immigration guys. Of course not.

As I get to the carousel, I’m met with a wall of 2-3 people deep at most sides, all waiting for their luggage to come out. I break my Lola’s rule of not leaving a bag unguarded. Sorry Lola, I’m alone on this trip. But had an eye on it for the most part. Plus everything was tucked away safely inside.

My 2 trolleys come out almost at the same time. Since there were just too many people, I couldn’t pull both out in one go, lest I throw at least 4 people off of their positions. Which is what I wanted to do at some point, since “Excuse me” wasn’t working anymore. Thankfully, their vision wasn’t as bad as their hearing, so they avoided meeting Mr. Elbow.

I had nothing to declare, as per the Customs form, so as I was surrendering said form to the officer of Chinese descent, he asks me, “Do you have chicharon?” I had to ask him again to be sure I heard it right. I ended up saying no. It’s a good thing he didn’t ask about dried mangoes. Hehehe! As I had a number of packs, for my team, inside. On my way out I passed the “random” inspection area, and saw that a lot of folks with Indian or Middle Eastern descent were being subject to full luggage inspection. “Random” indeed.

As I wheel my luggage out to the arrival lobby, I’m met by a Caucasian guy in a black suit with the name “John”. Pretty “generic”, American guy description. I have arrived in the USA indeed. Coz, with due respect to them, the guys at Immigration and Customs were of Asian descent, and save for their American accents, though Mr. Chicharon had a Chinese accent, I could’ve sworn I was in Hong Kong Airport. Diversity, it is.

Going back to John, he takes my cart and pushes it for me. We go for a long walk from the terminal to the parking lot. I’m in comfy crocs loafers, wearing my jacket and carrying nothing, and he’s in his formal black suit, leather shoes, pushing a cart with over 100 lbs of luggage, and he’s leaving me behind. Iba na ang malaki. At ang nag-e-exercise. Hehehe!

Yes, Black Tie Limo Company uses a black Lincoln Town Car, with stock chrome wheels (ugh! would've looked better without the chrome, or much bigger if with the chrome) to pick me up. Get up is complete for John and his company. The huge trunk swallows my 2 trolleys, and I sit in the back - which is a rarity for me - pulling out my camera, then realizing the futility of taking moving night shots, so I just enjoy the view, and try to recall where we passed 4 years before.

My trusty GPS finally found its signal, and thankfully the installed map is still accurate, so I was able to track where we were passing. This gave me some confidence to get my own rental and start driving again. But that’s tomorrow’s story.

This one ends at the hotel. We arrive at Summerfield, which reminds me of a nicer and classier Doubletree, but still a low-rise (4 floor) building. I step out of the car, and motion to wear my jacket. I think twice, as it’s not that cold. But anyway, sayang naman. Gamitin na nga. We knock but no one answers. Then we wait for about 10 minutes before someone appears. Apparently the night shift is very lean, so when he goes out to help someone, no one gets left behind at the desk. Oh well. It’s not Grand Cypress anyways. But it’s a Hyatt.

Which is why, after having checked me in, gotten me a trolley for my luggage and given me my key, he says good night, and reminds me to just leave the trolley outside my door when I’m done with it. Oh! Self-service eh? No prob. Not the 5-star Hyatt, but definitely a far cry from Ramada.

Night 1 ends after I make my phone calls to the house, and prep my gear for Day 1 at the office. Twas a long and memorable day, that January 23….

No comments: