Monday, February 14, 2011

Feb 11 – I’m Goin’ Home!!!

This entry is going to come before the Jan 29-Feb 10 entries. Talk about chronology. Hehehe!

Anyhow, it’s something I wanted to capture before the feeling passed me by, or before the numerous events happen before I can blog again when I get home.

I’d been looking forward to this day since I had gotten to the States. Perhaps not as much as Merryl, who’s on her first foreign business trip, to the US at that, but I had wanted to do my business, do my shopping and packing, and get home aboard the February 11, 9 pm flight.

It didn’t help my homesickness one bit when Hestia called me at around 530 in the morning to have Annika talk to me. Just wanted to get everything done and get on the plane and go home. In a few hours, I will be able to hug and kiss my 1st Princess, kiss my 2nd Princess through her Mommy’s tummy, and hug and kiss my Queen.

As I had gone through packing the past days, I waxed nostalgic a bit. I said goodbye to my room, while I was checking each nook and cranny for possibly something that could’ve been left behind. And I said thank you to it – for being in the right position that allowed me to look outside and see the Malibu if it was being hit or robbed (not that that’s common here), that allowed me to descend 2 flights of stairs and exit the side door with convenience to drop off my laptop and other stuff in the morning, that provided me with comfort and sleep for the last 3 weeks. Thanks 239.

I eventually said goodbye to the Malibu, and thanked it for 2 weeks of driving comfort and satisfaction. The heated seats, which I never had a use for in tropical Manila, worked like a charm on the many cold California mornings. And I’m happy that Karen again allowed another baton transfer – first from Junjun to me – then from me to Rain. Saya! Sure trumps the Focus. Hahaha!

And I’m saying goodbye to the States now.

I’m in the PAL lounge as I type this. Had a wonderful ride via Blacktie Limo Service. I have to apologize to my driver though, as I did not have enough change for both him and the airport porter, who he suggested should help with my 2 balikbayan boxes and 2 large luggages. Weird though, suddenly my hook-type portable scale is accurate. Hmmm…

This is probably my first US trip which I conclude with mixed emotions. The previous ones (1987, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2001 and 2006) were ending vacations. This one was business with weekends.

I will miss the drives, long and short, on the wonderful long and wide and relatively well-paved roads. I will miss the driving partner – the Malibu, although the Jetta was a good buddy, too. I will miss the order on the roads, and the cold weather.

But I will not miss the lonely nights at the hotel. And after this long flight, I won’t have another lonely night for a time.

No comments: